What is the News?
The U.S Secretary of State has confirmed the US intention to fully withdraw all forces from Afghanistan as per the Doha Agreement.
About Doha Agreement:
In 2020, the United States signed a historic deal with the Taliban. The deal aims to end the 18-year-war in Afghanistan. The deal was signed in Doha (Qatar) and thus termed as Doha Agreement.
The key features of the Doha agreement are:
- Troops Withdrawal: The US will withdraw its troops from Afghanistan. Further, the NATO or coalition troop numbers will also be brought down simultaneously. At last, all the troops will be out of Afghanistan within 14 months.
- Taliban: Taliban will not allow any of its members, other individuals or groups including al-Qaeda to use the soil of Afghanistan to threaten the security of the United States and its allies.
- Prisoners: Exchange of prisoners between the Afghan government and the Taliban will be done according to the Doha agreement. This is to build trust between the two sides.
- Sanctions Removal: As per the Doha agreement, US and UN sanctions on the Taliban leaders will be removed.
- Intra Afghan Dialogue: As per the Doha agreement, Intra-party talks will be held. The parties include Afghan government officials, opposition figures, civil society representatives and the Taliban. They will discuss a political road map for bringing an end to Afghan the war.
Source: Indian Express