What is the News?
World Earth Day is being celebrated on April 22, 2021.
World Earth day 2021 theme: ‘Restore Our Earth’. The theme focuses on natural processes, emerging green technologies and innovative thinking to restore the world’s ecosystems.
About World Earth Day
- World Earth Day is celebrated every year on 22nd April. It was celebrated for the first time in the year 1970.
- In 2009 the United Nations designated April 22 as ‘International Mother Earth Day
- Aim: The celebration of earth day is to achieve the following objectives.
- To build the world’s largest environmental movement to drive transformative change for people and the planet.
- To diversify, educate and activate the environmental movement worldwide.
- Origin: Earth Day was first observed in the year 1970. Gaylord Nelson, a US senator from Wisconsin, USA came up with the idea of commemorating such a day.
- Led by: The activities on Earth Day are led by earthday.org formerly known as Earth Day Network.
- It is a US-based international environmental NGO and has a presence in 195 countries.
- Significance: The Paris Agreement brought almost 200 countries together in setting a common target to reduce global greenhouse emissions. It was signed on Earth Day 2016.
Source: Indian Express