What is the News?
China successfully lands Zhurong Rover from the Tianwen-1 mission on Mars. Specifically, it has landed on the Utopia Planitia, a large plain in the Northern Hemisphere of Mars.
Note: The Zhurong rover has been named after an ancient Chinese god of fire. It will explore the Mars surface near the landing site.
- Firstly, with the successful landing, China became the third nation to achieve a successful soft landing on Mars after the Soviet Union and the United States.
- Secondly, with the successful deployment of the rover on Mars, China becomes the only second country after the US to send a rover to the surface of Mars.
- Thirdly, China has also become the 1st country to carry out an orbiting, landing, and roving operation during its first mission to Mars.
About Tianwen-1 Mission:
- Tianwen-1 is an interplanetary mission by the China National Space Administration(CNSA).
- Aim: It aims to send a robotic spacecraft to Mars consisting of an orbiter, deployable camera, lander, and the Zhurong rover.
- Launched Year: The mission was successfully launched from the Wenchang Spacecraft Launch Site in July 2020 on a Long March 5 heavy-lift launch vehicle.
- Objectives of the mission: The scientific objectives of the mission are to study the:
- Geology of Mars
- Current and past presence of water
- Internal structure of the planet
- Identification of minerals and rock types on the surface as well as
- Characterisation of the space environment and atmosphere of Mars.
Source: Indian Express