News: Ministry of Tribal Affairs has announced inclusion of 23 additional Minor Forest Produce (MFP) items in Minimum Support Price (MSP) list.
MSP FOR MFP Scheme:
- Launched in 2013 by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme
- Objective: To provide fair and remunerative price to MFP gatherers for the produce collected by them and to ensure sustainable harvesting of MFP.
- Nodal Agency: Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED)
- Minor Forest Produce(MFP): The Scheduled Tribes and Other Traditional Forest Dwellers Act,2006 defines minor forest produce as all non-timber forest produce of plant origin.It includes bamboo, brushwood, stumps, canes, cocoon, honey, waxes, Lac, tendu leaves, medicinal plants, roots among others.
- Minimum Support Price(MSP):It is the minimum price at which the government buys produce from farmers and tribals.
- TRIFED: It was established in 1987 to provide a good price to the products made or collected from the forest by the tribal people.It functions under the administrative control of the Ministry of Tribal affairs.