What is the News?
TROPEX 21 is currently underway in Indian Ocean Region(IOR). It is the Indian Navy’s largest biennial Theatre Level Operational Readiness Exercise.
- It is an inter-service military exercise. It involves the participation of the Indian Army, Air Force, Navy, and Coast Guard.
- To test the combat readiness of the Navy in a multi-dimensional scenario of the current geo-strategic environment.
- To validate the Navy’s capabilities like offensive-defense capabilities, safeguarding the maritime domain, and promote stability and peace in the Indian Ocean Region.
- Conducted by: The exercise is being overseen by Naval Headquarters. Other participants include Eastern, Western and Southern Naval Command of the Indian Navy and Andaman and Nicobar Command (the only Tri-Service theatre command of the Indian Armed Forces located at Port Blair).
- Location: The exercise is being conducted in the Indian Ocean Region(IOR) and its adjunct waters.
- Theme of the exercise: ‘Combat Ready, Credible and Cohesive force.
- Phases under the exercise: Exercise TROPEX is being progressed over distinct phases that will also test the Navy’s transition from peacetime to hostilities.
Source: The Hindu