- The U.S. President Donald Trump’s summit with Russian counterpart held recently in Helsinki, Finland.
2. According to President Trump, meeting went even better than last week’s NATO meeting in Brussels.
3. However, President Trump critised by political leaders and strategic commentors for compromising American interest on Summit. Russia is America’s primary rivalry.
4. The main stream commentary has focused on the Presidential refusal to endorse the claim by American intelligence agencies that Russia interfered in the 2016 U.S. Presidential election.
5. At the same time, Russia’s political and media establishment heralded talks between two leaders as a victory for Russian president in breaking down western resolve to treat Russia as a pariah.
6. In Moscow, the summit did not produce any breakthroughs on issues such as Syria, Ukraine, or arms control.
7. The Kremlin, in the runup to the Summit, had played down expectations of major progress.
8. However, market analysts said the summit was a positive for Russian assets, offsetting the negative effect from a drop in oil prices.
9. Future perspective of the meeting:
- The summit may have opened windows of opportunity for some areas of cooperation that would serve American and world security interest.
- Both leaders emphasized the importance of working together to stop Jihadist terrorism, stop nuclear proliferation, and control the dangers of existing nuclear arsenals.