Source: The Hindu
List of Contents
What is the News?
The United Nations General Assembly has approved a resolution establishing a Permanent Forum of People of African Descent.
About Permanent Forum of People of African Descent:
- The Permanent Forum of People of African Descent will serve as a platform for improving the safety and quality of life and livelihoods of people of African descent and their full inclusion in the societies where they live.
The mandate of the Forum:
- To advance the full political, economic and social inclusion of people of African descent in the societies in which they live.
- To provide expert advice and recommendations to the Human Rights Council, the Assembly’s main committees, and the various UN entities working on issues related to racial discrimination.
Composition of the Forum:
- The forum will consist of 10 members: five elected by the General Assembly from all regions and five appointed by the Human Rights Council following consultations with regional groups and organizations of people of African descent.
- The Forum’s first session will take place in 2022.
Significance of the Establishment of this Forum:
- The forum’s establishment comes during the International Decade for People of African Descent established by the General Assembly which began on January 1, 2015, and will end on December 31, 2024. It is focusing on the themes of recognition, justice and development.
- Moreover, the new body’s creation comes ahead of the 20th anniversary of the 2001 UN World Conference Against Racism in Durban, South Africa. This conference was dominated by clashes over the Middle East and the legacy of slavery.