- India and U.S to make important announcement on Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA)
2. The COMCASA will facilitate exchange of secure communications between the two militaries and allow the sale of encrypted communication systems to India.
3. Both the countries said, it is difficult to say if agreement on COMCASA would be signed during 2+2 dialogue.
4. Initially India had concern that it will allow U.S to access secure communication channels however India accepted it.
5. U.S has designated India as a Major Defence Partner.
6. U.S has said, in order to access cutting edge technology India have to first sign foundational agreement with U.S.
7. Indian military has also raised the concern that COMCASA will allow U.S to penetrate into India most secure strategic communication grid.
8. According to India, it is working on terms and condition and could take time as it took in 2016 for Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Understanding.
9. Other major announcement could be made on
- Under U.S Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI) an announcement could be made on Defence Innovation Unit Experimental (DIUx)to allow cross posting of officials.
- For this purpose, India already have created Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) to work on joint development projects
- US sale of MH-60 Romeo maritime helicopters and armed drones.
- A joint tri-service Humanitarian and Disaster Relief (HADR) exercise.
- Discussion on issue of India defence cooperation with Russia under Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanctions Act,
10. India already has cleared the deal with Russia to purchase S-400 long range air defence system.