- The state department of U.S. has warned India against the violation of Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanction Act or CAATSA.
- About Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanction Act or CAATSA.
- Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanction Act was enacted in August 2017.
- The Act empowers the U.S. to impose a sanction on the countries that have significant defence cooperation with Russia, Iran and North Korea.
- CAATSA aims to counter the aggression by Iran, Russia and North Korea through punitive measures.
- India is planning to buy five S-400 Triumf air defence systems for around $4.5 billion from Russia.
- The US has initially signalled waiver for India but their instance seems to be changed now.
- The US said that they tried to find a way so that defence preparedness of India won’t be impacted.