- According to the new recruitment norms released by the University Grants Commission (UGC) recently, the Doctoral degree holders from the top 500 foreign universities will be eligible for direct recruitment as an assistant professor in Indian varsities.
- This direct recruitment eligibility of international PhD holders is applicable for the disciplines of Arts, Commerce, Humanities, Education, Law, Social Sciences, Sciences, Languages, Library Science, Physical Education and Journalism and Mass Communication.
- The top 500 ranking of the university shall be referred from four famous world university ranking systems, i.e., Quacquarelli Symonds, Times Higher Education rankings and the Academic Ranking of World Universities of the Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
- Waiver: While PhD degree holders from Indian university with required percentage in Masters’ are also eligible for direct recruitment, the minimum requirements related to Masters’ programme have been waived off for international PhD holders.
- Exemption: The direct recruitment eligibility only grants candidates an exemption from the written test but their performance in the interview will be a deciding factor for their appointment.
- Earlier, the candidates eligible for the post were required to have minimum 55 per cent marks in the Master’s degree in concerned subject from an Indian University or an equivalent degree from an accredited foreign university.
- The candidate was also required to have cleared the National Eligibility Test conducted by the UGC or the CSIR, or a similar test accredited by the UGC, like SLET, SET.