What is the news?
The United Kingdom(UK) has released a document laying out its post-Brexit foreign and defence policy priorities.
What are the key features of the Post-Brexit Foreign Policy?
- Expand Influence in Indo-Pacific:
- The document calls Indo-Pacific the geopolitical centre of the world.
- The document says that the UK is planning to expand its influence among Indo-Pacific region countries. It will try to moderate China’s global dominance.
- Further, a planned British aircraft carrier will also be deployed to the region.
- Increase in Nuclear Warheads: The document plans an increase of Britain’s nuclear warhead stockpile by more than 40%. This is due to the evolving global security threats.
- Counter-Terrorism Operations Centre: The document confirms the launch of cross-government hubs – a Counter-Terrorism Operations Centre. It aims at significantly improving the UK’s ability to thwart terrorists.
- India: The document categorizes India as an international actor of growing importance. The UK aims to achieve an Enhanced Trade Partnership with India as a roadmap to a potential comprehensive trade deal.
- China: China and the U.K. both benefit from their bilateral trade and investment. However, China also presents the biggest state-based threat to the U.K.’s economic security.
- Russia and US: The document underlines the importance of strong ties with the U.S. while naming Russia as the top regional threat.
Source: The Hindu