News: United Nations Security Council(UNSC) 1267 committee has designated Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan(TTP) leader Noor Wali Mehsud as a global terrorist.
- UNSC 1267 Committee: It was established as a result of resolution 1267 (in 1999).It is also known as the Al Qaeda and Taliban Sanctions Committee.
- Composition: The Committee comprises all 15 members of the UNSC which makes its decision by consensus.
- Mandate: The Committee is mandated to:
- oversee the implementation of the sanctions measures
- designate individuals and entities who meet the listing criteria set out in the relevant resolutions among others.
- Sanction measures: If an individual or an organisation is included in the list,it leads to:
- countries to freeze the targeted groups or individual’s assets
- ban designated individuals from travelling and
- prevent the supply of weapons, technology and other aid.