What is the News?
The Ministry of Agricultural and Farmers Welfare conducted a National Dialogue on UN Food Systems Summit 2021.
About UN Food Systems Summit,2021:
- The first-ever UN Food Systems Summit 2021 is expected to hold in September 2021. For that, the United Nations Secretary-General has called for members to participate.
- Purpose: The summit will strategize the actions for positive change in Agri-food systems in the world. It will help to realize the vision of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Focus: The Summit will focus on levers and pathways to shape food systems nationally and globally.
- Significance: The summit will be held as part of the Decade of Action to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2030.
Action Tracks: The Summit’s Action Tracks offer stakeholders to learn and share new actions, partnerships and to amplify existing initiatives. The five Action Tracks are:
- Track 1: Ensure access to safe and nutritious food for all.
- Track 2: Shift to sustainable consumption patterns.
- Track 3: Boost nature-positive production.
- Track 4: Advance equitable livelihoods.
- Track 5: Build resilience to vulnerabilities, shocks, and stress.
Why food systems?
- Firstly, the term “food system” refers to the constellation of activities involved in producing, processing, transporting, and consuming food.
- Secondly, food systems touch every aspect of human existence. The health of our food systems profoundly affects the health of our bodies as well as the health of our environment, our economies, and our cultures.
- Hence, when they function well, food systems have the power to bring us together as families, communities, and nations.