News:The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has launched its Accelerator Lab in India.
About UNDP’s Accelerator lab:
- The Accelerator Lab is an innovative initiative by the UNDP, Qatar Government and the Federal Republic of Germany to find 21st century solutions to today’s complex new challenges.
- These labs seeks to identify grassroots solutions together with local actors and validate their potential to accelerate development.
Key approaches of Accelerator Lab:The four key approaches sit at the core of the Labs’ work are:
- Building on locally-sourced solutions, finding things that work and expanding on them
- Rapid testing and iteration to implement what works and go beyond the obvious solutions
- Combining the best understanding, ideas and expertise to generate collective knowledge
- Accelerating progress by bringing expertise, creativity and collective intelligence to bear.
About Accelerator Lab in India:
- The lab has been launched by UNDP in collaboration with Atal Innovation Mission and will look to solve issues through innovative solutions.
- It will seek to address some of the most pressing issues facing India, such as air pollution, sustainable water management and client-resilient livelihoods through innovation.
- The vision is also to make faster progress in meeting the ambitious Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations(UN) by 2030.
- India’s Accelerator Lab will be part of a network of 60 global labs covering 78 nations that will test and scale new solutions to global challenges like climate change and inequality.
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network.
- UNDP was established in 1965 by the General Assembly of the United Nations.It is headquartered in New York,US.
- It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
- UNDP is central to the United Nations Sustainable Development Group (UNSDG).
- UN SDG is a network that spans 165 countries and unites the 40 UN funds, programmes, specialized agencies and other bodies working to advance the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
About Atal innovation mission:
- The Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) was set up by NITI Aayog in 2016.
- It aims to promote a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship.
- It seeks to create institutions and programs that enhance innovation in schools, colleges, and entrepreneurs in general.