What is the News?
The Ministry of Education will launch the National Initiative for Proficiency in Reading with Understanding and Numeracy(NIPUN Bharat) Mission.
About NIPUN Bharat Mission:
- Aim: To create an enabling environment to ensure the universal acquisition of foundational literacy and numeracy. It will enable every child to achieve the desired learning competencies in reading, writing and numeracy by the end of Grade 3 by 2026-27.
- Implementation: NIPUN Bharat will be implemented by the Department of School Education and Literacy.
- Mechanism: A five-tier implementation mechanism will be set up at the national- state- district- block- school level in all states and UTs for the mission.
- Funding: No additional funding is being allocated for the mission. Instead, money is being allocated from the Samagra Shiksha scheme, which saw a 20% drop in its budget in 2021.
- Significance: Foundational literacy and numeracy is one of the goals under the National Education Policy 2020.
- Initially, the policy had included a 2025 deadline to achieve this goal. But the target has been extended to 2026-27, given that COVID-19 has already disrupted two academic years.
Terms to Know