Union Home Minister launches the Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign

Source: PIB

What is the News?

The Union Home Minister has launched the Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign at Sohra (Cherrapunji).

About Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign:
  • Green Sohra Afforestation Campaign is a campaign of the Assam Rifles.
  • Under the campaign, the entire area of ​​Cherrapunji is going to be adopted by Assam Rifles for plantation.
  • So when the trees are cut for fuel and other uses, 80% of the total land will be planted with traditional and long lifespan trees. The remaining 20% ​​will be used for animal feed, ornamental plants, and nursery which will meet all the requirements and help reduce the feeling of long lifespan trees.
  • With this technique, multi-level farming is done, and the forest grows 30 times faster and after 3 years it becomes free of maintenance.
About Greater Sohra Water Project:
  • The Project was launched by the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region(DoNER) and the Government of Meghalaya under the North-East Special Infrastructure Scheme.
  • The project is a part of the Prime Minister’s ambitious project Jal Jeevan Mission.
  • The project aims to provide pure drinking water through taps to every household in Sohra (Cherrapunji) region.
About Cherrapunji:
  • Cherrapunji or Sohra is a subdivisional town in the East Khasi Hills district in Meghalaya.It is the traditional capital of ka hima Sohra (Khasi tribal kingdom).
  • Sohra has often been credited as being the wettest place on Earth, but for now nearby Mawsynram currently holds that distinction.
  • However, Cherrapunji still holds the all-time record for the most rainfall in a calendar month and in a year.
About North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme(NESIDS):
  • NESIDS is a Central Sector Scheme launched by the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region(DoNER) in 2017.
  • Aim: The Project aims to ensure focused development of the North East Region by providing financial assistance for projects of
    • physical infrastructure relating to water supply, power, connectivity to enhance tourism and
    • social sector for creation of infrastructure in the areas of primary and secondary sectors of education and health.
Print Friendly and PDF