- COBAS 6800 is a fully automated machine enabled with robotics for performing RT-PCR tests for COVID-19.
- The machine provides high-volume quality testing and will be able to test around 1200 samples in 24 hours.
- It is installed at the National Centre for Disease Control(NCDC).
- Significance: It will help minimize the chance of contamination and the risk of contraction of the virus by healthcare professionals as the machine is operated remotely with very little human intervention.
- Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction(RT-PCR) Tests:It is a nuclear-derived method for detecting the presence of specific genetic material from any pathogen including a virus.
- NCDC: It is an institute under the Indian Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare for disease surveillance facilitating prevention and control of communicable diseases.