News:Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare has inaugurated the 2nd edition of Eat Right Mela in New Delhi.
Initiatives launched during the event:
About Eat Right Mela:
- Eat Right Mela has been organised by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
- It is an outreach activity for citizens to nudge them towards eating right.It is organised to make citizens aware of the health and nutrition benefits of different types of food.
About The PURPLE Book:
- It is a handbook on diets for diseases.The book provides general guidelines for hospitals on suitable diets for common medical conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, cancer, gut disorders among others.
- NetSCoFAN stands for Network for Scientific Cooperation for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.
- It is a network of research & academic institutions working in the area of food & nutrition along with the NetSCoFAN directory, covering detailed information of various heads/Directors and lead scientists of lead and associated partnering institutions.
- It would comprise of eight groups of institutions working in different areas namely biological, chemical, nutrition & labelling, food of animal origin, food of plant origin, water & beverages, food testing and safer & sustainable packaging.
- It would identify research gaps in respective areas and collect, collate and develop database on food safety issues for risk assessment activities.
About Eat Right India Movement
- The Eat Right India Movement was launched by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India(FSSAI) in 2018.
- It is a preventive healthcare measure to trigger social and behavioural change among people.
- The movement aims to improve public health in India and combat negative nutritional trends to fight lifestyle diseases.