News: Union Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs(I/C) has launched Climate Smart Cities Assessment Framework(CSCAF) 2.0 along with the ‘Streets for People Challenge’.
Climate Smart Cities Assessment Framework(CSCAF):
- CSCAF: It is an assessment framework launched in 2019 by the Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs(I/C) on climate relevant parameters.
- Objective: To provide a clear roadmap for Indian cities towards combating climate change while planning their actions within the city including investments.
- Sectors: The framework has 28 indicators across five categories namely (i) Energy and Green Buildings; (ii) Urban Planning, Biodiversity and Green Cover; (iii) Mobility and Air; (iv) Water Resource Management and (v) Waste Management.
- Implementation: The Climate Centre for Cities under National Institute of Urban Affairs(NIUA) is supporting the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) in implementation of CSCAF.
Streets for People Challenge:
- Aim: To inspire cities to create walking-friendly and vibrant streets through quick, innovative and low-cost measures.
- Bodies Involved: Smart Cities Mission under MoHUA has partnered with Fit India Mission under Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports along with the India program of the Institute for Transport Development and Policy(ITDP) to support the challenge.
- The challenge will not be limited to the 100 Smart Cities as all cities with a population of over 5 lakh and capital cities can apply.