News: On the occasion of World Environment Day, Union minister for Environment, Forests and Climate Change has launched Nagar van (City Forest) scheme.
- Aim: To increase forest cover in urban areas by developing 200 Urban Forests across the country in next five years.
- Implementation : It will be implemented with people’s participation and collaboration between the Forest Department, Municipal bodies, NGOs and corporates.
- Funding: It will be funded in part by the Compensatory Afforestation Fund Act (CAMPA),2016 funds.
- Warje Urban Forest or Smriti Van: It is a Public Private partnership project of Pune that has been successful in converting 16.8 hectare of barren Warje hill into green forests.
- Urban Forest: It is a forest or a collection of trees that grow within a city, town or a suburb.In a wider sense, it may include any kind of woody plant vegetation growing in and around human settlements.