What is the News?
The Union Minister of Rural Development has launched the NMMS (National Mobile Monitoring Software) app and Area Officer Monitoring App.
About NMMS (National Mobile Monitoring Software) app :
- NMMS App permits taking real-time attendance of workers at Mahatma Gandhi NREGA worksites along with geotagged photographs.
- Impact: This will increase citizen oversight of the programme. It also enables the potential processing of payments faster.
About Area Officer Monitoring App:
- Area Officer Monitoring App facilitates area officers to record their findings online and even put a time stamp on them. The app can also enable the coordination of tagged photographs for all the schemes of the Department of Rural Development. Such as MGNREGA, PMAYG, PMGSY.
- Impact: This would enable the government to record the inspections by officials. It will also facilitate analysis of the findings for better programme implementation.
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) is an employment guarantee act. It was introduced in 2005 through the National Rural Employment Guarantee Act,2005.
- Under the scheme, every rural household whose adult member volunteers to do unskilled manual work is entitled to get at least 100 days of wage employment in a financial year.
- Implementation: Ministry of Rural Development (MRD) in association with state governments monitors the implementation of the scheme.
- Features of the act:
- Demand-driven scheme: Worker to be hired when he demands and not when the Government wants it.
- Gram Panchayat is mandated to provide employment within 15 days of work application failing which worker is entitled to unemployment allowance
- Payment of wages within 15 days of competition of work failing which worker is entitled to delay compensation of 0.05%/ day of wages earned.