Union Minister releases Breed-Wise Report of Livestock and Poultry Based on 20th Livestock Census

What is the News?

The Union Minister of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying have released the Breed-Wise Report Of Livestock And Poultry based on the 20th Livestock Census.

What is the Breed-Wise Report Of Livestock And Poultry? 

The Breed-Wise Report Of Livestock And Poultry was done along with the 20th Livestock Census during the year 2019. 

It was for the first time in the country that breed wise data was collected by using tablet computers instead of paper mode which is indeed a unique attempt. 

The report has covered 184 recognized indigenous/exotic & crossbred breeds of 19 selected species that are registered by the NBAGR (National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources).

What are the key highlights from the report?

Cattle Population: Exotic and Crossbred animals contribute nearly 26.5% of the total cattle population whereas 73.5% are Indigenous and Non-descript cattle.

Indigenous Cattle: The total number of indigenous cattle declined by 6% in 2019 from 2012. Their share in the total cattle population fell to 73% from 79% during this period.

– Gir, Lakhimi and Sahiwal breeds have major contributions in total Indigenous Cattle.

Exotic/Crossbred cattle:  The total number of Exotic/Crossbred cattle grew from 3.9 crores in 2012 to 5 crores in 2019. The Census defines “Exotic” cattle as “the animals which have their origin in other countries”.

– Crossbred Jersey has the highest share with 49.3% in total Exotic/Crossbred cattle.

Buffalo: Murrah breed majorly contributes with 42.8% which is commonly found in UP and Rajasthan.

Goats: There are 28 indigenous Goat breeds found in the country.The Black Bengal breed contributes the highest with 18.6%.

Horse & Ponies: In this, Marwari breed contributes majorly with a share of 9.8%. 

Donkeys: In this, the Spiti breed contributes majorly with a share of 8.3%. 

Camel: Bikaneri breed majorly contributed with 29.6%.

Source:  The post is based on the article Union Minister releases Breed-Wise Report of Livestock and Poultry Based on 20th Livestock Census published in PIB on 12th May 2022.

Print Friendly and PDF