What is the News? The Department of Land Resources informs the Standing Committee on Rural Development about the Unique Land Parcel Identification Number (ULPIN) Scheme.
About Unique Land Parcel Identification Number(ULPIN) Scheme:
- The Unique Land Parcel Identification Number(ULPIN) scheme was launched in 10 States in 2021. It will roll out across the country by March 2022.
- Key Features of the Scheme:
- Firstly, under the scheme, authorities issue a 14-digit identification number to every plot of land in the country.
- Secondly, also called the “the Aadhaar for land”, it is a unique number to identify every surveyed parcel of land. It will prevent land fraud, especially in rural India where proper land records are not available.
- Thirdly, the longitude and latitude of a land parcel will be the basis for its identification. It will depend on detailed surveys and geo-referenced cadastral maps.
- Fourthly, the land records database will gradually integrate with the records of revenue courts and bank on a voluntary basis.
- Significance: The scheme might also be the next step in the Digital India Land Records Modernisation Programme(DILRMP). It began in 2008.
Benefits of the Scheme:
- Thus, the single source of information can authenticate the ownership and in turn, it can end the dubious ownership.
- The scheme will also help to identify the government lands easily and protect the land from dubious land transactions.
Source: The Hindu