Skip to content
- The University Grants Commission of India (UGC India) is a statutory body set up by the Indian Union government in accordance with the UGC Act,1956 under the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- It is charged with coordination, determination and maintenance of standards of higher education.
- UGC also provides recognition to universities in India and disburses funds to such recognised universities and colleges.
- In 2018, the Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) has prepared a draft bill to repeal the apex body University Grants Commission (UGC).
- The bill is named as Higher Education Commission of India (Repeal of University Grants Commission Act) Bill 2018. It provides for setting up of Higher Education Commission of India in place for UGC.