- Nature enthusiasts have recently spotted rare Black wind-mill butterfly in Dibang Valley in the Lower Dibang District, Arunachal Pradesh which was unseen for decades.
- This butterfly has its mention only in two books: Lepidoptera Indica (1913) by Fredric Moore and The Fauna of British India (1939) by George Talbot
- Another butterfly species, the Siren butterfly was spotted in 2012 at the Daranghati Wildlife Sanctuary, Himachal Pradesh. This butterfly was spotted for the first time since 1917.
- To ensure protection from butterfly collectors, the precise location of the black wind-mill butterfly has not been disclosed.
- Collecting of butterflies for sale as dead specimens has emerged as a challenge in Himalayas and North-East India
- Both black wind and siren butterflies are listed under Schedule I of the Wildlife Protection Act (1972)