What is the news?
The Central Government may allow the residents to fill the National Population Register(NPR) form on their own, through the online mode.
About National Population Register(NPR) 2021 Process:
- During NPR 2021, the Centre may allow residents to fill NPR forms on their own through the online mode. This will be conducted a month before the start of door-to-door enumeration by Census officials.
- After filling the form online, residents will get a reference code. Residents will give this code to the field enumerator at the time of her or his visit.
- The details of the respondent will be displayed on a mobile application developed for conducting the Census exercise. These details will then be stored in the system.
About National Population Register(NPR):
- National Population Register(NPR) is a register of usual residents of the country.
- Objective: To create a comprehensive identity database of every usual resident in the country.
- Usual Resident: A usual resident for NPR, is defined as a person who is residing in a local area for the past 6 months or more. Or a person who intends to reside in that area for the next 6 months or more.
- The NPR was first collected in the year 2010 along with the house listing phase of Census 2011. It was again updated in 2015.
- Conducted by: The process of updating NPR will be carried out under the aegis of the Registrar General and ex-Officio Census Commissioner, India.
- NPR is being prepared at the local, sub-District, District, State and National level.
- It is conducted under the provisions of the Citizenship Act 1955 and the Citizenship (Registration of Citizens and Issue of National Identity Cards) Rules, 2003.
- It is mandatory for every usual resident of India to register in the NPR.
Source: The Hindu