Date of Interview: Sept, 14
Board: Smita Nagraj Ma’am
Optional: Commerce and accountancy
Home State: Delhi
Hobbies: Badminton, strength training
- To view all IAS Interview Transcripts 2020, visit this page
- Why did you leave your job? (worked for a very brief period so expected)
- Tell me one very good thing and very bad thing in governance that the govt has done in the past 5-10 years? (couldn’t come up with any bad thing so mentioned GST as a work in progress and requiring serious improvements. Though was tempted to say demonetization but didn’t have credible data to support my arguments. However, I somehow realised they wanted to hear demonetization)
- Follow up questions on GST- did government implement without preparation or was it the right time since someone someday had to start?
- What all items are not covered under GST?
- Why not covered?
- Why there’s so much noise and fuss when petrol price rise by even a rupee?
- Demonetization- failure or success?
- Asset monetization pipeline- what and why?
- Principles of Sikhism?
- Why Golden temple is called Harmandir sahib?
- What are the precautions to take in strength training and what is the role of protein?
- Vivaad se vishwas scheme- success or failure? ( I said not aware about the data or what all the govt has achieved under it but it’s a good concept towards bridging the trust deficit and increasing the tax compliance. However, sir kept on insisting to comment on success or failure and wasn’t satisfied at the end)
- Chartered Accountants, these days and in the past 2-3 years, have encourage their clients to manipulate their accounts and evade taxes. Is this correct? ( I said yes but can’t really comment for all. Also not aware of any surveys/reports conducted in this area. Talked about window dressing and other tax avoidance strategies they use but sir didn’t look convince)
- List 5 problems that Delhi faces today.
- Problem of governance, Delhi Govt vs LG- Why arises and solutions.
- Why pollution persisting for so long?
- What will you do to deal with pollution?
- Do you know that CBSE toppers are exempt from engineering examinations and get direct entry into colleges? (DAF related)
- Does CBSE officially announce the toppers?
- Role of auditing firms in recent scams and frauds?
- Follow up questions on the conflict of interest auditors face and issues in their appointment.
Chairman: Thank you
Overall experience: Cordial environment but felt that board members were disinterested and less engaging. Couldn’t establish a connect and not even a single light moment was there, very formal and serious. Though they were wearing masks, all throughout the interview, they maintained this expression-less poker face which troubled me a bit. All in all a good learning experience. All the best everyone:)