Date of Interview: 18 April; Forenoon session
Board: TCA Anant Sir
Background: B Tech- Mechanical
Home State: Andhra Pradesh
Hobbies: Cricket, Cooking, Badminton
- To view all IAS Interview Transcripts 2021, visit this page
My Experience – Board was Cordial, Lively and Members seem genuinely interested. No follow up questions were asked. Gave ample amount of time on questions to think and respond. Much of the questions we’re linked with Geography.
No Face Shield. Entered the Cabin.
Greeted, Asked to Sit. Asked to remove the Mask to get comfortable. I politely told them, I am suffering from cold and sore throat.
Started reading the DAF out- Hometown, Graduation, College, Hobbies etc,
- You have done Mechanical engineering for three years, so why did you prefer Civil services instead of Engineering Services.
- Some counter questions
- Follow up- There are many Engineering service jobs which give ample amount of self satisfaction same as civil services. Can you explain with detail?
- What made you select Cooking as a hobby?
- What is the Southern most point of India?
- What is the significance of Andaman and Nicobar Islands?
- Tell me what is the present status of India’s presence and footprint in Indian Ocean Region
- Comparative analysis of India and Chinese footprint in the Indian Ocean Region.
- What are the reasons for high presence of China in the region?
- With How many countries does India share its border with?
- Follow up- Which country shares the longest border with India?
- Many months back, US warship entered into India’s maritime zone in Lakshadweep. Can you tell me what is the issue?
- What laws govern maritime zones internationally?
- On how many types of maritime zones the UNCLOS divides?
- Difference between Territorial waters and the EEZ?
- On one hand India has large demographic dividend and huge unemployment problems. On the other, India is pushing for Automation, Industry 4.0 etc, which reduces the role of manual labour. What is your opinion on this?
- What steps did government take for Skill development?
- So, Skill development of the masses is the way forward(for the First question)?
- In UK, Prime Minister was criticised and penalised for the Party gate scandal. Why cannot this happen in India? Difference between India and UK police in handling this kind of situations?
- Are Police in India incapable or the system is suffering with Systematic lapses?
- As you’re from Mechanical background I will ask you about Gun Barrel Technology? Why is India suffering with this technology? Are we lacking sufficient Mechanical/Functional technology or Metallurgical Technology?(Told- Im not aware of this sir; Sir felt betrayed after this, as i was listening enthusiastically for his long question)
- India is well placed Geopolitical/Physical setting wise. Tell me some Strengths and Vulnerabilities of this unique physical setting?
- Every country- India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal and Bhutan are culturally, historically almost same. Then why cricket is well developed in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and not in Nepal and Bhutan?
- You cook- So you might as well cook Tea. How many types of tea are there? Which is the best one? Which one will you make for us or recommend us?- I told Sir, I don’t drink Tea and never made it. Everyone laughed out loud. Chairman interrupted- He is from South India, why would he drink tea, when they have coffee cultivations all around his neighbourhood?
Chairman- Thank You, Your interview is over. You may leave now.
Utility of mocks- They helped me in developing some confidence and also helped in getting prepared for the D-day. Mock after mock I have seen there is a change in how I answer the questions. I would say please don’t get carried away even if they award you high or low in the mocks. Varied opinions and suggestions will be given, select ones in which you really feel there is a need for improvement. Go with your gut feeling!!