Date of Interview: 2nd May 2022
Board: TCA Anant
Home State: Jharkhand
Background: Civil Engineering, IIT Delhi
Hobbies: Cricket; Movies, particularly social dramas
Forenoon. First to go.
- To view all IAS Interview Transcripts 2021, visit this page
The board was very cordial. And diverse too. I was asked to remove my mask and face shield if comfortable. Chairperson read out points out of my DAF.
- What have you been doing since 2017?
- So you play cricket? At what level?
- And what do you do in cricket?
- Which position do you like to bat at?
- Is there a difference/ Can you briefly compare an opening batsman with a middle order batsman?
- What social dramas have you watched lately?
- You like to go to a theatre or watch on OTT?
- Has the theatre business been impacted by OTT?
- We have had a new Chief of Army Staff recently. Can you name him?
- If you are made the Chief of Army Staff, what would your three priority areas would be? (Asked me to take 30s or jot down points if I wanted)
- Can you elaborate on the China issue?
- If you are given the role of a policy maker in infrastructure department, which one sector would you pick for driving development in Jharkhand? Pick only one major sector and tell me why?
- What about tourism in Jharkhand? Any avenues there?
- So now let’s shift you to a different role of policy making. There are a lot of issues in India currently. Pick any three and elaborate upon suggestions for improvement? (He then himself went on to say corruption, population, pollution)
- Why India does not produce quality fast bowlers?
- MS Dhoni is from Ranchi. How do people in Ranchi view him?
- (Picked on from talks about energy in previous answer) Why is there a coal crisis in India currently?
- What is the most efficient source of energy?
- Status of forests in Jharkhand, has there been an increase or decrease?
- If you are now a policy maker in Jharkhand, how would you increase the forest cover? And please don’t tell we’ll plant more trees.
- (Talking very slowly, had to really strain to hear him properly)
- If I say North-east, which one state comes to your mind?
- Capital of undivided Assam? (Himself told it isn’t Guwahati)
- Long monologue on bifurcation of Assam, conflicts, etc. Finally, asked about the main reason behind such border issues.
- Have you heard about NEC? (I hesitantly said North Eastern Council, don’t know if he heard)
- There is a DoNER. Why do we need DoNER if we already have the NEC?
- Recently there was a conference of Hgh Court judges, presided by CJI. What particularly did CJI say about reforming the judiciary?
- Reforms in the criminal law?
- Long monologue again on justice and judiciary. Finally asked suggestion by the executive for reducing pendency in civil cases.
Chairperson: Your interview is now over. Is there anything you’d like us to ask that we haven’t covered already?
The interview must have been around 25-30 minutes. Questions revolved around my DAF and current affairs. Largely conversational. (Pardon me for I am not able to recall all the questions.)