Interview Date: 10 February 2020, Time :1 pm
Background: MSc. Biotechnology
Optional: Zoology and Forestry
Board: Sathiyavathy Mam
Home State: Maharashtra
- what u did after your MSc please tell me in sequence.
- why aren’t you working full time anywhere and only part-time jobs?
- what made you turn to forest services?
- how is biotechnology useful in forest services?
- what was your research project? (Worked on the effect of Tinospora cordifolia plant on diabetes mellitus)
- Does Jamun seed also have any relation to diabetes?
- Tell me something about mangroves in Mumbai? Are they increasing or decreasing? Any problems with mangroves?
- what projects are being taken up by India for climate change? By Maharashtra?
- anything by Maharashtra for forest conservation?
- schemes in Maharashtra for the health sector?
- medicinal plants name any five. How can tribals help in this area?
- which bt crops are there in India?
- why don’t we have other bt crops apart from bt cotton?
- how as forest officer u will help in the development of botanic gardens?
- tell me about some biotechnology parks in India. What do they do?
- why India is chosen for clinical trials by foreign companies?
- why students don’t want to pursue a career in research and just join govt services?
Member 3 (he grilled me the most)
- difference between botanical gardens and herbal gardens
- which bodies are working for biodiversity at different levels? At which level do people contribute? What do they gain out of it?
- various adaptation and mitigation steps for climate change?
- contribution of biotechnology in food crops? How can they be useful in the future?
- what are clones? How can they be useful in forestry?
- can biotechnology be useful in tree improvement? Any recent examples from India?
- how will you identify which tree to use for the tree improvement program? How will you propagate these species faster?
- tell me about micropropagation. Can it be used in forest tree improvement?
For more interview transcript, visit the Complete IAS Interview Preparation Guide