List of Contents
- UPSC Mains Syllabus |IAS Mains Syllabus | – Civil Services Mains Syllabus
- Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society.
- GOVERNANCE, CONSTITUTION, POLITY, SOCIAL JUSTICE AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS.
- TECHNOLOGY, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, BIO DIVERSITY, ENVIRONMENT, SECURITY AND DISASTER MANAGEMENT
- ETHICS, INTEGRITY AND APTITUDE
- Important Sub- topics of UPSC Mains GS -1 Syllabus (Go to main menu)
UPSC Mains Syllabus |IAS Mains Syllabus | – Civil Services Mains Syllabus
- UPSC Mains GS-1 Syllabus
- UPSC Mains GS-2 Syllabus
- UPSC Mains GS-3 Syllabus
- UPSC Mains GS-4 Syllabus
- UPSC Mains GS-1 Syllabus – Subtopics list
Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society.
- Topic 1 / Art & Culture : Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
- Topic 2/ Modern History : Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues. The Freedom Struggle — its various stages and important contributors/contributions from different parts of the country.
- Topic 3/ Post-Independence : Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country.
- Topic 4/ World History : History of the world will include events from 18th century such as industrial revolution, world wars, redrawal of national boundaries, colonization, decolonization, political philosophies like communism, capitalism, socialism etc.— their forms and effect on the society.
- Topic 5/ Indian Society : Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India. Role of women and women’s organization, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies. Effects of globalization on Indian society. Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
- Topic 6/ Physical Geography : Salient features of world’s physical geography.
- Topic 7/ Human and Economic Geography : Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian sub-continent); factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India).
- Topic 8/ Geophysical Phenomena : Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc., geographical features and their location-changes in critical geographical features (including water-bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
GOVERNANCE, CONSTITUTION, POLITY, SOCIAL JUSTICE AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS.
- Topic 1 : Indian Constitution—historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure.
- Topic 2 : Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
- Topic 3 : Separation of powers between various organs dispute redressal mechanisms and institutions.
- Topic 4 : Comparison of the Indian constitutional scheme with that of other countries.
- Topic 5 : Parliament and State legislatures—structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
- Topic 6: Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive and the Judiciary—Ministries and Departments of the Government; pressure groups and formal/informal associations and their role in the Polity.
- Topic 7 : Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act.
- Topic 8 : Appointment to various Constitutional posts, powers, functions and responsibilities of various Constitutional Bodies.
- Topic 9 : Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies.
- Topic 10 : Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
- Topic 11 : Development processes and the development industry —the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
- Topic 12 : Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
- Topic 13 : Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
- Topic 14 : Issues relating to poverty and hunger.
- Topic 15 : Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential; citizens charters, transparency & accountability and institutional and other measures.
- Topic 16 : Role of civil services in a democracy.
- Topic 17 : India and its neighbourhood- relations.
- Topic 18 : Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
- Topic 19 : Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
- Topic 20 : Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
TECHNOLOGY, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, BIO DIVERSITY, ENVIRONMENT, SECURITY AND DISASTER MANAGEMENT
- Topic 1 : Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization, of resources, growth, development and employment.
- Topic 2 : Inclusive growth and issues arising from it.
- Topic 3 : Government Budgeting.
- Topic 4 : Major crops-cropping patterns in various parts of the country, – different types of irrigation and irrigation systems storage, transport and marketing of agricultural produce and issues and related constraints; e-technology in the aid of farmers.
- Topic 5 : Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices; Public Distribution System- objectives, functioning, limitations, revamping; issues of buffer stocks and food security; Technology missions; economics of animal-rearing.
- Topic 6 : Food processing and related industries in India- scope’ and significance, location, upstream and downstream requirements, supply chain management.
- Topic 7 : Land reforms in India.
- Topic 8 : Effects of liberalization on the economy, changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth.
- Topic 9 : Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
- Topic 10 : Investment models.
- Topic 11 : Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life.
- Topic 12 : Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
- Topic 13 : Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, biotechnology and issues relating to intellectual property rights.
- Topic 14 : Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
- Topic 15 : Disaster and disaster management.
- Topic 16 : Linkages between development and spread of extremism.
- Topic 17 : Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security.
- Topic 18 : Challenges to internal security through communication networks, role of media and social networking sites in internal security challenges, basics of cyber security; money-laundering and its prevention.
- Topic 19 :Security challenges and their management in border areas – linkages of organized crime with terrorism.
- Topic 20 : Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate.
ETHICS, INTEGRITY AND APTITUDE
This paper will include questions to test the candidates’ attitude and approach to issues relating to integrity, probity in public life and his problem solving approach to various issues and conflicts faced by him in dealing with society. Questions may utilise the case study approach to determine these aspects. The following broad areas will be covered :
- Topic 1 : Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in-human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics – in private and public relationships. Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; role of family society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
- Topic 2 : Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and behaviour; moral and political attitudes; social influence and persuasion.
- Topic 3 : Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service, integrity, impartiality and non-partisanship, objectivity, dedication to public service, empathy, tolerance and compassion towards the weaker-sections.
- Topic 4 : Emotional intelligence-concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
- Topic 5 : Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
- Topic 6 : Public/Civil service values and Ethics in Public administration: Status and problems; ethical concerns and dilemmas in government and private institutions; laws, rules, regulations and conscience as sources of ethical guidance; accountability and ethical governance; strengthening of ethical and moral values in governance; ethical issues in international relations and funding; corporate governance.
- Topic 7: Probity in Governance: Concept of public service; Philosophical basis of governance and probity; Information sharing and transparency in government, Right to Information, Codes of Ethics, Codes of Conduct, Citizen’s Charters, Work culture, Quality of service delivery, Utilization of public funds, challenges of corruption.
- Topic 8: Case Studies on the above issues.
Important topics and sub-topics in Indian Heritage and Culture
Sub-topics under each topic
Note: Archaeological literature includes Inscriptions/Epigraphs, Numismatics/coins.
Indo-Islamic Art and Architecture
Modern Art and Architecture
Religious Movements in India
Other sub-topics in art and Architecture
Important topics and sub-topics for Modern History and Post- Independent India:
Sub-topics under each topic
History from the middle of the eighteenth century until the present– significant events, personalities, issues
Important contributors/contributions from different parts of the country
Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country
Important Topics and Sub-topics in World History:
Sub-topics under each topic
Various events from the 18th Century to till date
Political philosophies and their forms and effect on the society.
Important Topics and Sub-topics in Indian Society:
Sub-topics under each topic
Salient features of Indian Society
Diversity of India
Role of women and women’s organization
Population and associated issues
Poverty and developmental issues
Urbanization, their problems and their remedies
Effects of globalization on Indian society
communalism, regionalism & secularism
Important Topics and Sub-topics in Geography:
Sub-topics under each topic
Physical Geography of world
Physical Geography of India
Human and Economic Geography
Human and Economic Geography of World
Human and Economic Geography of India