Context- Pauri district in Uttarakhand boast nameplates with girls name as district steps up for gender rights.
More in News
The pauri administration in Uttarakhand has launched an initiative, ‘Ghar ki pehchan, nooni ku noo’ (House in the name of the daughter), in its efforts to empower women and girls, under the initiative, villages are encouraged to put their daughters’ names on the nameplates outside their house.
What is the significance of the initiative?
- Women empowerment – The initiative is to give due recognition to the women of the hills who are backbone of all activities. This will also bring gender sensitivity among men and, in turn, empower the girl child.
- Create awareness– The initiative is an effort by the district administration to create awareness about gender rights and property ownership among women and their families.
- The programme has been started under the mass awareness component of the Centre’s ‘Beti bachao beti padhao’
- To improve child sex ratio- An indicator of early gender discrimination is a matter of concern- at 904, it is way below the state average of 963.
What is the way forward?
- This progremme is just a start. Having the women’s name on the nameplate will elevate her status in the family and within society too.
In a first of its kind initiative in Uttarakhand, intended to raise awareness about the rights of the girl child.