What is the News?
The Union Education Minister informed the Lok Sabha about the vacancies in the faculty positions of Central institutions for higher education. He mentioned, there is a higher vacancy in the seats reserved for OBCs, Scheduled Castes, and Tribes.
What are the Vacancies in Central institutions of higher education?
- More than half of the faculty positions reserved for the OBCs in Central institutions of higher education are vacant.
- Moreover, 40% of those reserved for the Scheduled Castes and Tribes in the Central institutions of higher education also remain unfilled.
- This situation is prominent in the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs). More than 60% of SC and OBC reserved positions are vacant, while almost 80% of positions reserved for the STs are vacant.
Vacancies in Central institutions at Professor Level:
- Vacancies in Central institutions for SCs and STs:
- In Central Universities, vacancies were higher at the level of professors and not the assistant professor level.
- Of the 709 assistant professor positions reserved for the STs more than 500 have gotten filled.
- However, when it comes to professors, only nine of the total 137 have gotten filled for the ST candidates. This means that 93% of these posts remain vacant.
- Vacancies in Central institutions for OBCs
- Similarly, 64% of the 2,206 assistant professor positions reserved for the OBCs have gotten filled in the Central Universities.
- However, less than 5% of the 378 professor positions reserved for the OBCs have gotten filled.
Source: The Hindu