Why in News?
India has sent shipments of Covishield vaccines to Myanmar, Mauritius, and Seychelles under its ‘Vaccine Maitri’ (vaccine diplomacy) drive.
- Vaccine diplomacy: It is the branch of global health diplomacy in which a nation uses the development or delivery of vaccines to strengthen ties with other nations.
Read More – Significance of Vaccine Diplomacy
India’s Vaccine Diplomacy:
- Bhutan, Maldives, Bangladesh, and Nepal have already received their Covishield vaccines from India.
- In the cases of Sri Lanka and Afghanistan, India is awaiting confirmation of necessary regulatory clearances.
- India has also carried out capacity building and training workshops for neighbouring countries.
- However, the only exception to India’s vaccine diplomacy is Pakistan which has not been named as a neighbouring country for vaccine delivery.
Source: Indian Express