Why in News?
India will officially start its vaccine diplomacy with the name “Vaccine Maitri” under its Neighborhood First policy.
- Vaccine Diplomacy: It is the use of vaccines to increase a country’s diplomatic relationship with other countries.
Key Features of Vaccine Maitri
- India will supply Made-in-India Covid-19 vaccines to its neighboring and key partner countries Under its Neighborhood First policy.
- Bhutan and Maldives will be the first to get the vaccines followed by Bangladesh, Nepal, Myanmar and Seychelles.
- Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and Mauritius will also get doses once they give necessary regulatory approvals.
- Pakistan has not been named as a neighboring country which will get the vaccine.
- Vaccine will be Supplied to the partner countries in a phased manner, keeping in mind the demand.
Earlier Diplomacy measures by India:
- India had earlier supplied Hydroxychloroquine, Remdesivir and Paracetamol tablets as well as diagnostic kits, ventilators, masks, gloves and other medical supplies to a large number of countries during the pandemic.
- Under the Partnerships for Accelerating Clinical Trials(PACT) programme, India has also provided training to several neighbouring countries to enhance and strengthen their clinical capabilities
- PACT programme: It has been launched for supporting COVID-19 vaccine development activities in partnering countries.
- The initiative is being implemented by Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council(BIRAC) and Clinical Development Services Agency(CDSA) under the aegis of the National Biopharma Mission and Ind-CEPI Mission of DBT.