News:Government is planning a programme called Vigyan Jyoti to help girl students inculcate interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
- The programme is to be launched in the backdrop of low percentage of women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics(STEM).
- The data shows that females comprised 24% of the total pass-out students in STEM subjects in engineering, 22% at the postgraduate level, 28% at M Phil and 35% at the PhD level.
About Vigyan Jyoti:
- The programme aims to tap 100 girl students in 550 districts from 2020-2025.
- The programme comes under the aegis of the Department of Science & Technology(DST).
- The programme will cover girl students from grade 9 to 12.It will choose students based on their percentile.
- The programme will help girl students inculcate interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics(STEM).
- The programme also has financial dimension.The girls will be given a modest financial incentive to cover their additional expenses like travel to camps.
- It will also include holding science camps for the girl students in nearby IITs, NITs and national laboratories.