Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency of U.S detained 129 Indian students in visa fraud case in University of Farmington
- Along with students, 8 Indians recruiters has also been arrested for recruiting foreign students to enroll in a fake university to illegally stay in the US
- Enforcement agency claims that the foreign students intention was merely to “pay to stay” and gain access to employment.
- As part of the scheme, the defendants and recruiters assisted foreign citizen students in fraudulently obtaining immigration documents from the school and facilitated the creation of false student records, including transcripts, for the purpose of deceiving immigration authorities
- Student were also aware that the university’s program was not approved by the Department of Homeland Security and was illegal.
- This is the second such case when Department of Homeland Security has used a fake university to unearth a fake student visa racket.
About Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- The ICE is a law enforcement agency of the federal government of the US tasked to enforce the immigration laws of the United States and to investigate criminal and terrorist activity of foreign nationals residing in America.
Types of student Visa
- F1 Student Visa – Students applying for a program which requires more than 18 hours of study in a week require an F1 visa. This includes all undergraduate programs as well as graduate programs like MS, MBA, etc.
- M-1 Vocational/ Non-Academic Student Visa – The M1 visa is a type of student visa reserved for vocational and technical schools.