Waste To Wealth Mission:
- The Waste to Wealth Mission is one of the nine national missions of the Prime Minister’s Science, Technology, and Innovation Advisory Council (PM-STIAC).
- Aim: To identify, develop, and deploy technologies to treat waste and generate energy, recycle materials and extract value from waste.
- The mission is the “scientific arm” of the Swachh Bharat Mission.
- Objectives of the Waste To Wealth Mission:
- To support the development of new technologies that can help create a cleaner and greener environment.
- To boost and augment the Swachh Bharat Mission and Smart Cities Project by leveraging science, technology and innovation.
- To create circular economic models that are financially viable for waste management.
- To streamline waste handling in India.
- Significance: The benefits of effective waste management is huge. As it is predicted that India has the potential to generate 3GW of electricity from waste by 2050.