What is the News?
Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) has received the Asia Environmental Enforcement Award-2020.
About Asia Environmental Enforcement Award:
- It is given by the United Nations Environment Programme(UNEP) in partnership with UNDP, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), CITES, INTERPOL, and World Customs Organisation(WCO).
- Purpose: The award publicly recognises excellence in controlling transboundary environmental crime. Government officials and institutions or teams can be awarded for the enforcement.
- The award covers any transboundary environmental crime such as illegal trade in wildlife and illegal trade in chemical or waste including plastic.
Why was WCCB awarded?
- WCCB was awarded under the category ‘Innovation’. It was awarded for “Operation WILDNET-II” or ‘Innovation’ for planning and conducting a multispecies enforcement operation.
- Operation WILDNET: The purpose of the Operation was to control the ever-growing illegal wildlife trade on the Internet, through social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp.
- Significance: This is the second time WCCB is receiving this award. Earlier, it received this award in 2018.