What is the News?
AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines, produced from harmless adenovirus have low efficacy. On the other hand, Pfizer and Moderna vaccines which are produced from mRNAs have higher efficacy.
- Adenoviruses are common viruses that cause a range of illnesses. They can cause cold-like symptoms, sore throat, bronchitis, pneumonia, diarrhoea and pink eye(conjunctivitis).
When was adenovirus discovered?
- Adenoviruses are non-enveloped, double-stranded DNA viruses. They were first discovered in the human adenoid tissue in 1953 by Rowe and his colleagues.
How are Adenoviruses Transmitted? Adenoviruses are usually spread from an infected person to others in the following ways.
- Close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
- Air transmission through coughing and sneezing
- Touching an object or surface with adenoviruses on it, then touching mouth, nose or eyes before washing hands.
How is adenovirus infection treated?
- There is no specific treatment for people with adenovirus infection. Most adenovirus infections are mild. So these infections may require only to relieve symptoms, such as over-the-counter pain medicines or fever reducers.
Source: The Hindu