Synopsis: The Anglosphere is opposed as a colonial concept in India but colonial past should not be allowed to overpower India’s present strategic benefits.
What is Anglosphere?
- An Anglosphere is also called the world of English-speaking people bound by common political beliefs, similar legal traditions, and shared geopolitical interests.
- The term was coined around late 19th century, when Britainwas facing the challenges to its empire from within and outside. A modest version of this idea was Commonwealth nations.
- Later, stronger ties with EU resulted into the waning of this idea. Butafter cold war conservatives in UK started favouring the idea of Anglosphere.
- It is also the main idea behind the political movement in UK to pull it out of the European Union.
Which countries constitute Anglosphere?
There are various theories around the countries that constitute the Anglosphere.
- For few theorists UK, US, Canada, Australia and New Zealandare at the core of the Anglosphere.
- Other’s define it more narrowly as a CANZUK group that excludes the United States.
- A broader view sees rebuilding of Anglosphere as economic and strategic collaboration with other states like India, Ireland, Singapore and Japan.
- At present, only the “Five Eyes” arrangement for intelligence sharing between the US, Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand, reflects the possibility of Anglosphere.
Why the Anglosphere could be in favour of India?
Some of the critics in India is against idea of Anglosphere due to India’s colonial past, but 5 arguments have been put forward in favour of the Anglosphere that go against any possibility of repetition of India’s past:
- Firstly, Britain and India today are at roughly $2.7 trillion and occupy the fifth and sixth places in the GDP rankings. India will be overtaking Britain in the few years to become the third-largest economy in the world.
- Secondly, Unlike Indian elites’ Indian middle classes have whole-heartedly accepted the English-speaking world as their favourite foreign destinations for study, work and emigration.
- Thirdly, The Indian population is flourishing in these nations and is very much part of their political system of Anglosphere, due to their relative openness. For instance:
- Kamala Harris will soon be sworn in as US Vice President.
- Three of Johnson’s cabinet rank ministers are Indian.
- Four of Justin Trudeau’s ministers are of Indian origin.
- Indians are among the fastest-growing minorities in Australia and New Zealand.
- Fourthly, the India and the Anglosphere countries has already developed greater bilateral commercial and security cooperation and they share geopolitical interest in the Indo-Pacific as well. Moreover, India is already engaged with Five Eye countries on selected issues.
- Lastly, India is in an advantageous position, when compared to China.
- The Chinese Communist Party has come close to winning over entire Anglosphere in recent years through the absolute power of its sustained economic investments, political engagement, and elite cultivation.
- Whereas India won’t need to invest that much and can build good relations on the terms, mutually beneficial.