What is the News?
On March 27, 2021, the world observed the Earth Hour Day.
About Earth Hour
- Earth Hour is a global movement for environmental conservation. The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) started it in 2007.
- It is an annual event, that takes place on the last Saturday of March. Millions of people in over 180 countries and territories participate in it by turning off their lights.
- Aim: It aims to call attention to global warming, loss of biodiversity, and climate change.
- During the Earth Hour, people turn off their lights for an hour as a sign of global solidarity.
- Significance: This hour showcases the need to take action on the pressing issue of global climate change. Further, it promotes awareness about environmental issues on a public platform.
- Theme for 2021: “Climate Change to Save Earth”
About World Wildlife Fund for Nature(WWF):
- World Wildlife Fund for Nature(WWF) is an international non-governmental organization founded in 1961.
- It is the world’s largest conservation organization.
- Aim: It aims to stop the degradation of the planet’s natural environment. Furthermore, it also aims to build a future where humans live in harmony with nature.
- Headquarters: Gland, Switzerland.