List of Contents
What is the News?
What is the EU-AstraZeneca dispute about?
- AstraZeneca’s entered into a contract with the European Union. It committed to supplying an initial 300 million doses of vaccine for distribution among the 27 member countries. Further, it provided an option to order another 100 million doses.
- But it delivered only 30 million doses in the first quarter of 2021. Further, the company also says it can only provide 70 million in the second quarter, rather than the 180 million it had promised.
- Hence, the EU initiated legal action against Astra-Zeneca for not fulfilling the terms of the contract. Further, the EU also said that the company has not been in a position to come up with a reliable strategy to ensure timely delivery of doses.
What has AstraZeneca said?
- AstraZeneca has said that it has fully complied with its agreement with the EU and hoped to resolve the dispute as soon as possible.
Covid-19 Vaccination Progress all over the World:
- European Union(EU) has so far vaccinated over 24% of its population.
- Over 40% of Americans have received at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine.
- In comparison, India has vaccinated around 10% of its population and many African nations have only vaccinated around 1% of its people.
Source: The Hindu