What is the News?
The Prime Minister mentioned the garbage to power Plant (Waste to power) plant in his speech. The plant is being commissioned inside the Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Agriculture Market.
About the Garbage-to-power plant:
- Developed by: CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology(IICT)
- Technology: It is based on a biomethanation technology-based Anaerobic Gas lift Reactor(AGR). CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT) has patented the reactor.
- Biomethanation: It is a process by which organic material is microbiologically converted to biogas, under anaerobic conditions.
- How does the plant work?
- To initiate the process of biomethanation, conveyor belts carry tonnes of vegetable waste to shredders.
- The shredded waste is then converted into a semi-liquid mixture. It is then put into large containers or pits to start the process of anaerobic digestion. Organic waste is eventually converted into biofuel which has two major components, methane and carbon dioxide.
- The fuel is then put into ‘100 percent biogas generators’ that converts the fuel into electricity and reaches the market’s electricity bulbs.
Source: The Hindu