What is the news?
There is a rise in Covid-19 cases across a number of states in the country. However, the Goa government permitted the celebrations of the Shigmotsav Festival. Questions are being raised over the scale of celebrations of the festival in Goa.
About Shigmotsav Festival:
- Shigmotsav festival also known as Shigmo is a spring festival celebrated in the state of Goa.
- The festival is the celebration of a rich, golden harvest of paddy by the tribal communities of Goa.
- Communities: Agricultural communities including the Kunbis, Gawdas and Velips celebrate the festival.
Key Features of the Shigmotsav Festival:
- Firstly, the festival begins with ‘Naman’. It means the invocation of the local folk deities on the village stage or the village ‘maand’.
- Secondly, Instruments used: The percussion instruments like the Ghumat, Dhol, Mhadle and Tashe are used by the male folk. This is called the ‘romta mell’.
- Thirdly, Folk Dances: Many dances performed by the participating communities. This includes Folk dances like Ghode Modni (a dance of equestrian(horse riding) warriors), Gopha and Phugadi, etc.
- Lastly, during the festival, the Goa government organize float parades. This draw both domestic and international tourists.
Source: Indian Express