What is SVAMITVA scheme?
SVAMITVA (Survey of Villages and Mapping with Improvised Technology in Village Areas) scheme is a collaborative effort of the Ministry of Panchayati Raj, State Panchayati Raj Departments, State Revenue Departments and Survey of India.
Aim – To provide an integrated property validation solution for rural India for setting the boundaries of the rural lands and also provides the record of right to village household owners.
- It is a scheme for mapping the land parcels in rural inhabited areas using drone technology and Continuously Operating Reference Station (CORS) and prepares GIS based maps for each village.
- Implementation– The mapping will be done across the country in a phase-wise manner over a period of four years – from 2020 to 2024.
- After physical verification and dispute resolution, property cards or Sampatti patrak will be made available on digital platforms or as hard copies to the village household owners.
Technology used– The Survey of India will use technology for topographical mapping, including satellite imageries and drone platforms.
What are the advantages of digital mapping?
Digital mapping will help raise rural productivity and incomes in various ways-
- Smoother implication– The digitization of agricultural land records has contributed to the smooth implementation of the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana, Fasal Bima Yojana and Rythu Bnadhu.
- Tax collection– The database will help in determination of property tax, which would accrue to the Gram Panchayats directly in states where they are empowered to collect such taxes.
- The scheme will help in streamlining planning and revenue collection in rural areas and ensuring clarity on property rights.
- Digitization of personal identity and agriculture land, and now residential property in rural areas through SVAMITVA, will facilitate transparent transactions in land parcels
- Non-farm related activity– This will benefit from clear title and the removal of land supply constraints. Clear title records, accompanied by legalization of land leasing, will improve their access to credit, insurance and support services.
- Enhances Liquidity of assets– The cards will help increase liquidity of land parcels in the market and increase the financial credit availability to the village.
- Creation of better GPDPs– The scheme will enable creation of better-quality Gram Panchayat Development Plans (GPDPs), using the maps created under this programme.
SVAMITVA scheme is a welcome step for transparency and accountability. By proper co-ordination between Centre and state, smooth working of dispute settlement systems and training the youth for proper implication is required.