List of Contents
- This attracted harsh criticisms from the government and experts. Further, there was also an exodus of user migration to rival platforms such as, Signal.
- WhatsApp moved the deadline to May 15. Eventually, WhatsApp decided not to enforce the policy itself.
The Government response:
Ministry of Electronics and IT (MEITY) has sought a response from WhatsApp within seven days. Due to the following reasons,
- The ministry is also of the opinion that WhatsApp is imposing unfair terms and conditions. As the similar policy is not applicable for WhatsApp’s European users.
Concerns with government decision:
- WhatsApp is not the only one: Private apps such as Google, BigBasket, Koo, and public apps such as Aarogya Setu, Bhim, IRCTC, and others also use similar privacy policies.
- India did not have General Data Protection Regulation or GDPR like the EU: The government instead of seeking a response from companies has to enact a data protection law in line with the GDPR.
Source: The Hindu