When Artificial Intelligence goes psycho
- Recently, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has created an artificial intelligence (AI) system named “Norman”.
- Norman is the first AI to show psychopathic tendencies
- The AI has been named after Norman Bates from Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho.
- The aim behind creating Norman was to explain the potential dangers of an AI when the data-set used to train the model is biased.
- AI bots are trained through machine learning methods where AI computer system is fed with a particular data-set.
- In case of Norman, violent image captions from Redditwere used as the dataset
- Then Norman was compared to AI which was not exposed to such violent images.
- The two were differentiated on the basis of Rorschach inkblot tests- a personality test
- Across the inkblot tests, Norman had shown negative tendencies as compared to other AIs