- The World Health Organisation(WHO) report released recently.
2. Major highlights of the report:
- The Swachh Bharat Mission Gramin(SBM-G) will help in preventing more than three lakh deaths due to diarrhea and protein-energy malnutrition between 2014-October 2019.
3. India’s rural sanitation coverage escalated to 89.07% till Aug 2.
4. Under the SBM-G, 19 States and Union Territories were declared Open.
5. More than 4.9 lakh villages in the country were declared ODF.
6. Before, the initiation of SBM-G, unsafe sanitation caused 199 million cases of diarrhea annually and that by 2019, the initiative aims to achieve 100% sanitation coverage.
7. The report estimated that 14 million Disability Adjusted Life Years (DALYs) can be avoided between 2014 and 2019.
8. The WHO estimation of health impacts is based on comparative risk assessment (CRA) methods.