- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani met PM Narendra Modi during his recent visit to Delhi.
- Meanwhile, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) has announced that Kabul has deported an Indian national who had travelled to Afghanistan in an attempt to join the Islamic State.
- Issues raised during the meeting:
- The growing presence of the IS (Da’esh) in Afghanistan
- The continuing influx of terrorists from Pakistan.
- Stand on Taliban
- Ghani accepted Taliban as part of their society but warned to keep external elements such as Da’esh separated from internal issues.
- He made a strong pitch for talks with the Taliban.
- He emphasised peace with Taliban so that security forces could concentrate on fighting other terrorist groups like the Islamic State.
- President Ghani also made special mention of the siege of Ghazni city recently where Pakistani nationals had fought alongside the Taliban.
- India assured to back the Afghan government on its decision to engage the Taliban in talks that are “Afghan-owned, Afghan-led”.